For the pastry (Pâte Brisée):
*pastry recipe makes 2 galettes
2 1/2 cups (or 625g) all-purpose flour
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup (250g) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup (or 60-125 mL) very cold water
a piece of parchment/baking paper
1 beaten egg for glaze
some raw sugar for glaze
- In the bowl combine flour and salt.
- Add pieces of butter and mix quickly with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (You don’t want to overmix/warm the butter too much)
- Pour in a little water at a time, just until dough holds together without being wet or sticky.
- Once dough holds together enough to form a ball, divide in half, and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap. Shape into flattened disks and wrap it in plastic.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight before using
For the topping:
10-15 damson plums (depending on their size), pitted and sliced into 1/6th
about ¾ cup (180 g) ground poppyseed
¼ cup (60g) sugar (may vary according to taste)
¼ cup (60mL) milk (also may vary)
- Combine poppyseed and sugar in a saucepan, and over low/medium heat on the stovetop stir as you pour in milk.
- The consistency should be of a thin porridge or paste, so adjust amounts of milk if needed.
- Also note that you should adjust amounts of sugar to taste as well, as you don’t want it to be overbearingly sweet. The taste of the poppyseed should be prevalent.
- Let the mixture heat up and thicken and turn the heat down to very low and cover until needed.
For the crumble:
1/3 cup (80g) coarse flour
1/3 cup (80g) coarse sugar
1/4 cup (60g) chilled, unsalted butter
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with fingers until you have pea-sized clumps. If mixture is too dry, add a little butter, if it is too sticky, add sugar and flour.
- Preheat your oven to 375 Fahrenheit (190 Celsius)
- Roll out galette dough on a well-floured surface to about ½ cm thickness. (it should be quite thin but sturdy enough to transfer to a sheet and not tear)
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet
- Chill sheet in refrigerator until dough firms slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Spread poppyseed mixture in consistent layer- leaving at least a 5cm dough border bare
- Arrange sliced plums evenly on top and sprinkle with crumble.
- Lift the edges of the dough border and fold it down overlapping the outermost edges of the fruit. Brush folded border with egg glaze; sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place baking sheet with galette in the oven and bake until crust is golden brown and fruit filling is bubbling at the edges (about 50 min- 1hour). If dough is getting too brown too fast, simply cover with aluminium foil.